|From burrito pillowcases|
Each month, we can pick up donated fabric, make the pillowcases and then turn them in when they are finished.
While everybody has their own favorite way to make pillowcases...and we all think ours is just a 'wee bit' better....I LOVE mine! I use a variation of the burrito pillowcase technique that I got from guild, but that I have seen before called a 'magic' pillowcase.
All measurements are by width of fabric, 44/45"
27" piece for body of pillowcase (27"x 44/45")
9" co-ordinating cuff piece (9"x 44/45")
2" contrasting narrow trim piece (2" x 44/45")
Step 1 Assemble three pieces: trim, cuff, body
Step 2. Take trim piece, fold in half ,press flat
Place between right sides of cuff and body
Step 3. Now, all three are almost in position for pinning together, just make sure your trim piece is ride sides together, and between both the cuff and the body's right sides, as well. But you must make your burrito before you make your magic!
Now,just take the body section (pink) and roll it up (like a burrito) until you can see the trim piece from underneath. This insures that no rolled edge gets accidentally sewn in. The roll is simply encased within, except at the one top seamed edge!
Take the bottom edge of cuff (blue) and flip it up and over the burrito'ed body section.
Line up top with cuff and trim edges. You will now have five layers pinned and ready to sew as shown below.
Step 5. Sew all of the layers together, using about a 1/2" seam allowance. Note that it will appear to be a very narrow.... almost too small to be correct, but it is....section as you sew this little burrito roll-up's long seam. Just make sure there are 5 layers in your seam and the rolled up edge is not accidentally sewn in, just encased within the burrito!
Step 6. To turn the burrito right side out...
Remove all pins. Now reach inside of your 'burrito' roll and pull all of the fabric out of one end of your tube.
Step 7. Take this pillowcase section and press flat.
Be sure to iron the trim towards the body.
Step 8. Trim side edges of body of pillowcase.
Step 9. Sew a French (encased within) seam.
With wrong (exactly the opposite of what is usual)sides together, sew both sides and bottom of the pillowcase using a 1/4" seam.
Step 10. Press flat and turn right side out.
Step 11. Sew the (now encased) sides and bottom in a 5/8" seam, simply turning the corners as you. (Less than this may leave strings showing).
Step 12. Turn right side out, press again, and admire your finished pillowcase!
NOW....make a lot more of them before you forget the technique;)
More ideas from all around the world! Thanks to the reader who sent me this list!
Pillowcase tutorials on Australian sites...
- How to Sew a Pillowcase - A Spoonful of Sugar
- Fat Quarter Pillowcases - Nanny Craft 4U
- Learn to Sew Pillowcase Tutorial - Flower Press
- Standard Pillowcase - Nanny Craft 4U
- Pillowcase Patterns - Spotlight
- Embellishing a Pillowcase with Hexagons - A Spoonful of Sugar
Pillowcase tutorials on U.K. sites...
Pillowcase tutorials on U.S. & Canadian sites... as far as I can tell these are all U.S. or Canadian sites. Some were a little hard to gauge.
- Banish Percale Forever - Stop Staring and Start Sewing
- Easy Pillowcase Tutorial - Sew Mama Sew
- One Million Pillowcase Challenge - American Patchwork & Quilting
- A Five Minute Pillowcase How To - Simple Simon & Co
- Ten Minute Pillowcase - Little Bit Funky
- Chevron Flag Pillow Cover - Stubbornly Crafty
- Posh Pillowcases - You Go Girl
- Quick Pillowcase Tutorial - 44th Street Fabric
- ConKerr Cancer Pillowcases - MADE
- Various Pillowcase Tutorials - One Million Pillowcases
- Ruffled Pillowcase Tutorial - Piece N Quilt
- Pretty Quick Pillowcase Tutorial - Film in the Fridge
- Easy Pillowcase with Contrasting Hem - Lazy Girl Designs
- Envelope Closure Pillowcase - Make It & Love It
- Ten Minute Pillowcase Tutorial - Little Bit Funky
- Sewing a Pillowcase - Education Possible
- Reversible Pillowcase Tutorial - Tidbits
- DIY Perfect Pillowcase - Living with Punks