- With Heart and Hands: A Quilting Journey
- What If?
- Alzheimer's Illustrated:From Heartbreak to Hope
- Healing Hearts Textile Arts
- The Healing Art of Sewing and Quilting
- Fidget Quilts
- Making Prayer Flags
- My Tutorial Link Lists: By Themes
- Please Respect Creative Common Copyrights
- With Heart and Hands: Michele Bilyeu (blog)
Friday, December 14, 2007
All Tied Up With Heartstrings
As I was decorating our Christmas tree this year, I couldn't help but notice how many of my decorations are made of fabric. I have always loved making my own decorations (for all of the different holidays) but Christmas is my absolute favorite.
Sometime in the 90's I switched from my bright traditional Christmas colors and went to a darker, more woodsy version. I began collecting home crafted ornaments made out of wood or metal and I added fabric, dried flowers and raffia. I've loved this cozy look and kept it for more than a decade now.
Even before I knew what string quilting was, I did strip piecing. I didn't know that it was called string or strip quilting, I just called it "patchwork" or "patchwork quilting" like most of us did early on. My little strip pieced and quilted heart ornaments (shown here) were made during this period and I made dozens and dozens of them. Simply decorated with buttons and ribbons for tying and hanging, they had a cozy look to our tree that I dearly love.