If you saw the Pumpkin Praline Pie on the Martha Stewart TV Show last week...the one with the fabulous tear drop rolled edge...you wished you'd written down the recipe, too! Well, I found the recipe and here it is:
Pumpkin Praline Pie
Ingredients to make one 9" inch pie:
All-purpose flour, to sprinkle on work surface
Flaky Pie Dough
4 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Muscovado light or dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 lb. pumpkin puree
1 c. heavy cream
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Using a 1-inch tear-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 50 tear-shaped pieces of dough. Starting with the pointed end, roll each piece of dough three-quarters of the way toward the fat end of the tear, forming a curl. Transfer curls to a baking sheet; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out remaining dough into an 11-inch round. With a dry pastry brush, brush off any excess flour; fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate, pressing it into the edges. Trim to a 1-inch overhang all around. Fold under overhang so it extends slightly beyond the edge of the pie plate.
- Prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Line with parchment paper, leaving at least a 1-inch overhang. Top with a 9-inch metal pie tin. Bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Remove parchment paper and weights; let cool.
- Beat 1 egg in a small bowl. Brush the edge of the pie crust with egg. Starting with 1 dough curl, place the flat bottom on the egg-washed rim, with the curl perpendicular to the edge of the pie plate. Working in the same direction, continue placing curls next to one another until the rim of the pie shell is completely covered with curls. Transfer pie shell to refrigerator; let chill 1 hour. Brush curls with remaining beaten egg.
- In a large bowl, mix together both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add pumpkin puree and stir well to combine. Whisk in remaining 3 eggs and cream.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie shell. Transfer to a 375 degree oven and bake until filling is just set, about 40 minutes. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle pie with praline topping just before serving
Flaky Pie Dough
Ingredients makes enough for 1 pumpkin pecan-praline pie
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup ice water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 tablespoons cold leaf lard, cut into piece
Mix together salt and water in a small bowl until salt has dissolved; set aside
Pecan Praline Topping:
Makes enough topping for two 9-inch pies
Vegetable oil, for baking sheet
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole pecans, lightly toasted
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil; set aside.
- Mix together sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Cover and cook, without stirring, until an amber-colored syrup has formed, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add pecans. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet; let cool completely.
- When praline has cooled, coarsely chop praline. Praline should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe created by Chef Paul Bergeron, featured on Martha Stewart Show and MarthaSteward.com/