- With Heart and Hands: A Quilting Journey
- What If?
- Alzheimer's Illustrated:From Heartbreak to Hope
- Healing Hearts Textile Arts
- The Healing Art of Sewing and Quilting
- Fidget Quilts
- Making Prayer Flags
- My Tutorial Link Lists: By Themes
- Please Respect Creative Common Copyrights
- With Heart and Hands: Michele Bilyeu (blog)
Sunday, October 14, 2007
The Pieties Quilt
" The Pieties Quilt" Maria Cadman Hubbard, New England, 1848, 88 1/2" x 81 1/2".
The individual letters are constructed of tiny bits of material, all pieced together.
–noun, plural -ties. 1. reverence for God or devout fulfillment of religious obligations: a prayer full of piety.
2. the quality or state of being pious: saintly piety.
3. dutiful respect or regard for parents, homeland, etc.: filial piety.
4. a pious act, remark, belief, or the like: the pieties and sacrifices of an austere life.
I think this beautiful quilt more than says it all.
I didn't really need a dictionary. I just need to feel the beauty and the meaning in this quilt.