- With Heart and Hands: A Quilting Journey
- What If?
- Alzheimer's Illustrated:From Heartbreak to Hope
- Healing Hearts Textile Arts
- The Healing Art of Sewing and Quilting
- Fidget Quilts
- Making Prayer Flags
- My Tutorial Link Lists: By Themes
- Please Respect Creative Common Copyrights
- With Heart and Hands: Michele Bilyeu (blog)
Friday, May 25, 2007
Chinese Coins or Pennies from Heaven: Not Always a Gift
Shanghai Daily News: Man Paralyzed When Hit by Falling Quilt
By Gu Jia 2007-5-22
A man living in Shenzhen in South China's Guangdong Province was knocked into a coma by a falling quilt last month, and is now suffering from hemiplegia from a neck injury, a local newspaper reported today. The man's family is hoping the owner of the quilt may offer some compensation to cover medical bills because they can no longer afford further treatment after spending 100,000 yuan (US$13,055), the Daily Sunshine newspaper said.
The victim, surnamed He, was on his way home from work at 4:30pm on April 15, when he was hit by a quilt which fell from a four-story residential building.The owner of the quilt is unknown at this stage.He was rushed to a nearby clinic by a friend and transferred to a hospital but when he woke up, he found he had difficulty in moving legs."Doctors said there is hope for my husband to be able to stand up again if we continue treatment," said He's wife. "But we have no income because I had to quit my job to take care of him around the clock.""We cannot afford further debt as it now amounts to 100,000 yuan," his wife told the newspaper.
The building is on Daping Road of Buji area in central Shenzhen. Apartments in it have been leased out and no resident has come forward to claim the quilt. He's wife told the newspaper that "though we didn't keep the quilt as a clue, we have narrowed down the identity of its owner after visiting the building several times.""We will ask for help from local police if the person doesn't show up in the next few days," she said.
* Life is sometimes stranger than fiction. What makes us laugh one moment, can make us cry the very next! Assuming this story is, indeed, true....say a prayer for this man and his family!
For Chinese Coins quilting information: HeartStrings Quilt Project: Chinese Coins